6 cups (12 oz/375 g) cubed bread, preferably French or egg bread (3/4-inch/2-cm cubes)
4 oz (125 g) unsweetened Chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 cups (24 fl oz/750 ml) Milk
1 1/4 cups (10 oz/315 g) granulated Sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract (essence)
2 tablespoons confectioners? (icing) sugar
1. Preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 1 1/2-qt (1.5-l) soufflй dish or baking dish.
2. Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake until dry but not browned, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
3. In the top pan of a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over (not touching) simmering water in a pan, combine the Chocolate and Milk and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
4. In a bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the Eggs until blended. Add the granulated Sugar and beat until slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and gradually beat in the vanilla and the chocolate-milk mixture until incorporated.
5. Place the bread cubes in the prepared dish. Pour the chocolate Custard over the bread and, using a spoon, turn the mixture so that all the bread cubes are evenly soaked with the custard mixture.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. Then, using a large flat spoon, push down on the bread so the custard rises to the top. Continue baking until the custard is just set, 15-20 minutes longer.
7. Transfer to a rack and, using a sieve or sifter, lightly dust the top with the confectioners` sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.