1 lb butter
1 cup sugar
yolks of 2 eggs
1 whole egg
rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
6 cups flour (SEE ABOVE)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup almonds chopped fine
1. Cream butter, add sugar, then eggs(slightly beaten).
2. Add rind of lemon and flour mixed with baking powder (WITH ONLY ENOUGH
FLOUR TO HANDLE.)
3. Take off 1/3 of dough and chill the remainder for several hours.
4. Roll out chilled dough to approximately 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out
cookies with cookie cutter or water glass.
5. Brush cookie tops with white of eggs, sprinkle each cookie with chopped
almonds and a little granulated sugar. Cookies should be on slightly greased
(buttered) cookies sheet.
6. Bake in moderate oven (about 350 degrees) for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Until they "look" done--- slightly golden to brown. The lighter the better.
Cool on rack.
Chocolate Swirl Cookies
7. To the remaining 1/3 of dough---melt a square of Baker's (Semi-sweet?)
chocolate with a teaspoon of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water in a double
boiler. Cool slightly and mix a small part of the dough into the chocolate
8. Roll out remaining dough on waxed paper. Spread chocolate flavored dough
mixture on top of the rolled out dough so that it covers virtually the
entire surface. Roll up lengthwise and chill for several hours or overnight.
9. Slice into thin cookies (heavier than the ones above), brush with egg
white and bake at 350 as above