1 pound black beans -- dried
6 cups chicken stock
4 tablespoons oilive oil
1 cup yellow onion -- minced
1 plum tomatoes -- chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper -- minced
1/4 cup cilantro -- chopped
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1/8 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
1 clove garlic -- minced
1/4 pound ham -- in 1/2" pieces
salt to taste
sour cream and cilantro sprigs, for
1. Soak the beans overnight in cold water. Drain.
2. Place the beans in a large, heavy pot,cover with water and simmer for four hours, adding some stock to cover the beans as the liquid is reduced.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Saute the onion until golden, then add the remaining ingredients except the ham, salt and garnishes. Simmer for three minutes, stirring.
4. Stir the ham and the contents of the skillet into the beans. Simmer, covered, for two hours, stirring and adding more stock to cover the beans as necessary.
5. Season with salt and serve with sour cream and sprigs of cilantro.