2 1/2 cups white cake flour, sifted
1 1/2 cups SPLENDAR Granular
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large egg yolks
3/4 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cream of tartar
8 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 325° F. Sift together cake flour, SPLENDAR Granular, baking powder and salt into a very large mixing bowl.
2. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add egg yolks, water, vanilla and oil into the well. With an electric mixer beat on high speed for 30 seconds or until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with mixer until stiff peaks form, approximately 3 minutes.
4. Gently fold in 1/5 of the egg whites to the batter. Repeat this step, adding a small portion of the egg whites at a time and folding after each addition. The batter should be uniform and light textured in appearance, clumps of egg whites should not be visible in the mix.
5. Pour the mixture into a 10" tube pan and bake for 60 minutes.
6. Remove cake from the oven. Invert cake in pan and place center tube of cake over a narrow bottle neck or inverted funnel. Cool for 45 minutes. Gently loosen cake from sides and tube before turning out of tube pan.