9 oz green peppers
2 eggs, separated
9 oz (250 g) lean boneless pork
2 tsp. flour
1/2 tsp. scallions, chopped
1/2 tsp. cornstarch (cornflour)
1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, chopped
2 cups (500 ml) vegetable oil for deep-frying
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. spiced pepper-salt
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. MSG (optional)
1/4 tsp. five-spice powder
1. Wash, halve length-wise, and seed the green peppers. Cut each half into two triangles and dry well. Set aside.
2. For the filling, mince the pork and mix it with the scallions, ginger, salt, soy sauce, five-spice powder, MSG (optional), and half the egg white.
3. Beat the rest of the egg whites with the yolks and mix with the flour, cornstarch and enough water to make a thick batter.
4. Fill the inside of each piece of pepper with the filling level to edges. Add coat the filled side with flour.
5. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat to 350 F (175 C) or until a piece of scallion green or ginger sizzles and moves about rapidly when tossed into the oil. Dip the filled side of each piece of pepper into the egg batter and then drop it into the oil, filled side down. Deep-fry until the coating is golden brown, then remove, drain well, and place in a dish, Sprinkle with the pepper-salt and serve.