1 kg cleaned mussels
14 fl oz dry white wine
1 oz butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 oz sultanas
1 lvl tsp curry powder
? tsp tomato puree
1 small apple
5 fl oz double cream
1. Put the mussels in a saucepan with the wine and place over a high heat. Bring to the boil and cook, stirring, until all the mussels have opened.
2. Strain the cooking liquid into a jug through a fine sieve. Discard any mussels that have not opened fully. Return the mussels in their shells to the pan. Cover and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in another saucepan. Add the carrot and onion and cook over a low heat for 2 minutes or until softened but not browned.
4. Add the sultanas, curry powder, and tomato puree. Cook, stirring, for one minute.
5. Gradually stir in the strained mussel liquid.
6. Peel the apple, cut it into wedges and add to the sauce. Simmer gently for five minutes. Add the cream.
7. Pour the sauce over the mussels and heat through gently. Serve at once with some crusty bread to mop up the juices.