4 pounds small mushrooms
4 cups boiling water
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 3/4 cups water
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 tablespoons salt
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup vinegar
1. Cut the mushroom stems off even with the caps.
2. Cook over medium heat in boiling water with salt until they sink to the bottom, about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Remove mushroom caps; place in small sterilised jars.
4. Make marinade. Boil water with peppercorns and bay leaves for 30 minutes. Add salt and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Add vinegar, bring to boiling.
5. Pour hot marinade over mushroom caps. Close the jars. Keep refrigerated 2 or 3 days before serving.