1 teaspoon allspice, crushed
1 teaspoon Oregano, crushed
2 pounds lean ground lamb
1 onion, grated
2 slices bread, toasted and crushed
1/2 pound bacon, sliced - (optional)
1/2 teaspoon savory, dried
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except bacon. Mix well and knead thoroughly.
2. Saute 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture in a hot pan until cooked through. Let cool, and taste for seasoning; adjust seasoning to taste.
3. Make "fingers" of meat about 5 inches long and not over 2 inches in diameter. Wrap each with bacon (optional-this will baste the meat while it cooks.)
4. Place meat on skewers about 1 inch apart. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Broil or grill at moderate heat, turning every 5 minutes. The surface should be crusty and the center should be done within 25 minutes.
6. Serve on pita bread with tomatoes and tzatziki sauce (Greek yogurt sauce flavored with garlic, salt, and cucumber).