1 pound canned tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup pimentos, chopped
3/4 cup long-grain rice
2 tablespoons stuffed olives, diced
2 bay leaves
cornmeal, for dredging
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 pinches saffron
1 large frying chicken, 3 pounds
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1/2 cups green peas, frozen
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon butter
1 green bell pepper, cut in 1-inch squares
1. Cut chicken in eight pieces; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dust lightly with cornmeal.
2. In a large, deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat the oil and butter until foaming. Add the chicken in batches, skin side down. Brown both sides of the chicken, until evenly golden.
3. Remove chicken to a warm platter and reserve.
4. Add more olive oil and saute the onion, garlic, and green pepper.
5. Add the rice and stir for five minutes. Add the tomatoes.
6. Steep the saffron in the hot chicken stock for a few minutes.
7. Add stock, sherry, bay leaves, olives, pimentos, and the peas to the pan. Mix well; arrange the chicken pieces on the top of the rice.
8. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice and chicken are tender, about 40 minutes.