salt and pepper
2 lbs. boneless chuck in 2 by 3 chunks
1 quarter lb. lean bacon thickly sliced and cut in chunks
2 tablespoons butter
3 large onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 bay leaf
1 half bottle (12 oz) of Ommegang Abbey Ale
1. Combine flour, salt and pepper, dredge the beef in it. Cook bacon in a skillet.
2. Transfer bacon to a casserole and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat. Add butter.
3. Brown onion in fat and transfer it to the casserole.
4. Brown the meat on all sides with mustard and add it to the casserole, together with bay leaf, thyme and Ommegang beer. Simmer covered over low heat for about 3/4 to 1 hour until the meat is tender.
5. Serve hot, with plain boiled root vegetables and Ommegang.