4 x 150 g sardines
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon clear honey
1 tablespoon wine or cider vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon olive oil
chilli sauce (optional)
1. Clean the sardines and remove any scales, but leave the heads on.
2. Place the soy sauce in a bowl, stir in the honey then add the vinegar, tomato ketchup and oil.
3. Mix all the ingredients well then add a little chilli sauce if desired.
4. Make three or four slashes each side of the fish.
5. Spoon a little of the sauce in the cavity left after cleaning the fish. Brush a little of the sauce in the slashes - the sauce will not be thick enough to stick to the fish.
6. Lay the sardines on the barbecue and cook until crisp and dark brown, turning carefully only once. Transfer the sardines to warm serving plates and pour a little of the sauce over each fish.