2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
24 large mushrooms, stems removed and chopped fine; caps left whole
3 slices bacon
1/4 cup minced onion
4 teaspoons minced onion
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted lightly
1/2 cup fine fresh bread crumbs plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling mushrooms
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 green onion, sliced thin, for garnish
1. In a large saucepan combine 6 cups water with lemon juice, add the mushroom caps, and bring the liquid to a boil. Simmer for 6 minutes. Transfer them to paper towels and drain. (Blanching the mushroom caps will prevent them from wrinkling while they are baking.)
2. In a skillet cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels.
3. Pour off all but 1 1/2 tablespoons of the fat from the skillet, in remaining fat cook the onion, garlic and mushroom stems over medium-low heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened. Add the soy sauce, sesame seeds, 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs, the crumbled bacon and pepper to taste. Cook mixture, stirring, for 1 minute, or until it is slightly dry.
4. Divide mixture among the mushroom caps, mounding it, and transfer the stuffed mushrooms to a jelly-roll pan.
5. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon bread crumbs over the mushrooms and bake in the middle of a preheated 325 F (160 C) oven for 7 minutes, or until the filling is heated through. To make the filling crisper, place baked mushrooms under a preheated broiler about 4-inches from the heat for 1 minute. Garnish the mushrooms with sliced green onion.