8 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined medium shrimp
8 ounces fresh or frozen sea scallops
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 to 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon cooking oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 medium carrots, thinly bias-sliced (2 cups)
3 green onions, slivered or thinly sliced
2 cups hot cooked rice
Crushed red pepper (optional)
1. Thaw shrimp and scallops, if frozen. Cut any large scallops in half. In a medium bowl stir together shrimp, scallops, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sherry, and 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Drain shrimp and scallops, reserving marinade.
2. For sauce, in a small bowl stir together 3 tablespoons soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, 2 tablespoons sherry, 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, sesame oil, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, and reserved marinade. Set aside.
3. Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more cooking oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add carrots; stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove carrots from the wok.
4. Add half of the shrimp and half of the scallops to the hot wok. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp and scallops turn opaque. Remove shrimp and scallops from the wok. Repeat with remaining shrimp and scallops. Return all shrimp and scallops to the wok. Push shrimp and scallops from the center of the wok.
5. Stir sauce. Add sauce to the center of the wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Return carrots to the wok. Add green onions. Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve immediately over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with additional crushed red pepper, if desired.