1 cup milk
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup ground frozen corn kernels
1 cup Arepa Flour
1 cup finely ground yellow corn meal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup water (approximate)
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Mild Swiss cheese sliced
1. Bring the milk to a boil in a small pan. Add the five tablespoons of butter. Let stand.
2. Grind one cup frozen yellow corn kernels in a food processor.
3. In a large bowl, mix the arepa flour, salt, sugar, ground corn, and mozzarella. Make a well in the center and gradually add the hot milk. Stir until there are no lumps. Work the dough until it is smooth and sticky. Add water as necessary if the dough is too thick.
4. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough between two sheets of wax paper to about 1/4" thickness. Cut out arepas with a large cookie cutter - about 3 inches in diameter.
5. Heat a lightly buttered griddle on medium. Cook the arepas in batches until crispy and golden brown on each side. Immediately place a slice of cheese on one arepa and cover with another to make a sandwich. Heat on griddle until cheese melts.
6. You can also make the pancakes only and store them in the refrigerator or frozen until ready to serve. Just lightly butter two pancakes, put a slice of cheese in between and heat up on griddle at low-heat until the cheese melts.