2 (31 ounce) cans college inn chicken broth
6 medium potatoes (cubed)
4 stalks celery (Diced)
4 medium carrots (Diced)
1/2 cup cubed ham (optional)
1/4 lb of deli bacon (Smoked)
1 medium Spanish onion (Diced)
1 quart heavy cream
4 tablespoons butter
1/4- 1/2 cup cornstarch
12 ounces cheddar cheese (optional)
If making Cream of Broccoli Soup:
2 heads broccoli, chopped, peel stems of skins and slice (Skins are tough and bitter.)
1. Empty cans of chicken broth in pot.
2. Add cubed potatoes and bring to a boil.
3. While potatoes are starting to cook pan fry bacon until crisp and add bacon grease to chicken and potatoe broth.
4. Crumble bacon and add to broth.
5. Add diced ham to broth (otpional).
6. In a sauce pan melt butter and add diced onion, celery and carrots.
7. Pan fry until soft.
8. When potatoes are done add the celery, carrot and onion mixture with butter to broth.
9. Reduce heat to medium and add about 1/4 to 1/2 of the quart of Heavy Cream.
10. Be careful not to have soup at a heavy boil or cream will curdle.
11. Add enough cream to make soup look creamy throughout.
12. Add Cheese (optional).
13. Mix corn starch with very cold water and add to soup.
14. Continue medium boil until soup thickens.
15. If it isn`t thick enough repeat corn starch and add slowly.
16. Remove from heat and enjoy.
17. Soup will thicken when it gets cold.
18. Can add milk or water to thin out.