1/3 cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 lb unshelled shrimp (26 to 32 shrimp per pound)
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1/4 cup medium-dry sherry
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
fresh lemon juice, to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large heavy skillet set over moderately high heat, heat the oil until it is hot, add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it is pale golden.
2. Add the red pepper flakes and the shrimp and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute, or until the shrimp are pink and just firm to the touch.
3. Sprinkle shrimp with the paprika and cook the mixture, stirring, for 30 seconds.
4. Add the Sherry, boil the mixture for 30 seconds, and sprinkle with parsley.
5. Season the mixture with the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.