1 dozen oysters, very fresh and from a reliable fishmonger
12 slices, pancetta, very thinly sliced about 1/8th pound
1 cups balsamic vinegar
1 each cinnamon sticks
4 each juniper berries
1 each bay leaves
8 each whole peppercorns
1 unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
1. Carefully open the oysters, reserving the liquor. Wrap each oyster with pancetta and place in a cleaned oyster shell.
2. Place reserved oyster liquor, vinegar, cinnamon, juniper, bay leaves, peppercorns in a saucepan and simmer 15 minutes or until the vinegar has reduced by two thirds.
3. Using a whisk, add the butter one piece at a time and whisk until all the butter is incorporated before adding more butter. If the sauce seems about to boil remove it from the heat-if the sauce boils it will break.
4. Keep adding butter one piece at a time until the sauce is thick and tasty- you may not need one or two pieces.
5. Roast the oysters for 6-10 minutes in a preheated 450 F oven-until the pancetta is almost crispy.
6. Remove the oysters from the oven, allow to cool for 2 minutes, arrange on a serving platter and drizzle the balsamic vinegar sauce over the oysters.