2 tbsp butter
1/2 pound mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, and chopped fine
2 tbsp flour
Pinch of curry powder
1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
Salt and ground pepper
16 thin slices dense white bread, crusts removed
1. Melt the 2 tbsp butter in a saute pan, add the mushrooms and cook rapidly over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
2. Sprinkle with the flour and curry powder and continue to cook, stirring, for about 2 more minutes, add the milk and cook, stirring, until the mixture is very thick.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread the filling generously on one slice of bread, top with another slice, and cut in half so that you have an oblong or finger sandwich.
4. Brush each side with melted butter. Place on a cookie sheet, turn on oven to broil. Place the rack about 5 inches from the broiler.
5. Broil, watching constantly, as sandwiches will brown rapidly, when one side is golden, turn with a pancake turner and toast the other side.