1/2 cup (4 oz/125 g) granulated Sugar (white)
3/4 cup (4 oz/125 g) packed soft Brown sugar
1/2 cup (4 oz/250 g) Margarine
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (essence)
2 cups (8 oz/250 g) all-purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
24 blanched Almonds (halves)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C/Gas 4).
2. Cream the sugars with the margarine. Add the egg and almond extract and beat until fluffy.
3. Sift the Flour and Baking powder together and fold into the mixture a little at a time. Beat lightly to make a smooth dough. Do not knead the mixture too much, or the Cookies will be hard.
4. Shape the dough into balls the size of a walnut. Dip the tops of the cookies into the sesame seeds. (You may need to slightly dampen the top of each with a little water.) Lightly press half an almond into the center and flatten a little.
5. Place the cookies about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Store in airtight containers.