8 lb (4 kg) large veal bones, such as leg bones
2 white Onions
4 whole Cloves
2 large Carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 Celery stalks, coarsely chopped
10 cloves Garlic
2/3 cup (5 fl oz/150 ml) tomato paste
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) water
1. Preheat an oven to 500°F (260°C). Place the veal bones in a roasting pan and roast for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, coarsely chop 1 of the onions. Stud the other whole onion with the cloves.
3. Remove the pan from the oven and distribute the Carrots, chopped and whole onion, Celery, Garlic and tomato paste evenly over the veal bones. Return to the oven and roast until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer all the contents of the roasting pan to a stockpot. Add the bouquet garni and peppercorns. Discard the fat from the roasting pan and place the pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the water and deglaze the pan by stirring to dislodge any browned bits from the pan bottom. Pour the liquid into the stockpot.
5. Add water to the stockpot just to cover the ingredients (about 6 qt/6 l). Bring to a boil and, using a large spoon or a wire skimmer, skim off any foam that forms on top. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 3 hours. Continue to skim off any foam that floats to the top during simmering.
6. Strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth (muslin) into a clean container. Discard the contents of the sieve.
7. Use immediately, or let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month. Lift off any solidified fat from the surface of the chilled stock before using.