450 g extra lean minced beef
1 onion, sliced thinly
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
125 g button mushrooms, sliced
1 beef stock cube, crumbled
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the scones:
175 g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
50 g half fat butter or low fat spread
2 tablespoons skimmed milk
2-3 teaspoons horseradish sauce
extra flour for dusting
1. Dry fry the minced beef in a non stick saucepan for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the meat is brown. Add the onion and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
2. Stir in the carrots, celery, mushrooms, stock cube and 300 ml boiling water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200 C or 400 F. Pour the minced beef into an ovenproof casserole dish.
4. Make the scones. Sift the flour and salt together in a bowl. Rub in the butter or low fat spread until the mixture is crumbly.
5. Stir in the milk and horseradish and mix to a soft dough, adding a drop more milk if necessary.
6. Press the dough out onto a lightly floured board to a thickness of 4 cm. Using a 5 cm cutter, press out eight sonces. Lightly dust each scone with flour.
7. Place the scones on top of the minced beef. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.