3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups red kidney beans
2 cups long-grain rice
4 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup onion, small dice
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 bay leaf
4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
black pepper, freshly ground
1. In a large pot, heat oil; add garlic, green pepper, onion, and cumin, and saute until onions are softened.
2. Add rice, and stir until well-coated with oil.
3. Add stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow simmer. Add bay leaf and oregano, and cover pan.
4. Cook over low heat about 25 minutes, or until rice is tender, adding more liquid as necessary.
5. When rice is cooked, add beans and cilantro. Stir well, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.