1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk, scalded
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
1. Soften the yeast in the warm water.
2. Add the sugar, salt and butter to the scalded milk. Let cool to lukewarm. Add 1 cup of flour to make a thick matter. Beat well. Add the softened yeast, egg and grated lemon rind and beat well. Add the rest of the flour to make a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. When dough is light, punch down and let rest for 10 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into chunks about the size of a plum. Place a layer on the bottom of a greased loaf pan (9) about 1" apart. Put a second layer on top so the spaces between the chunks in the first layer are covered. Continue procedure until all pieces are used. Cover with a caramel glaze as follows: 1/4 cup dark syrup, corn or maple; 1 tablespoon melted butter; 1 teaspoon lemon extract. Combine the ingredients and mix well. Pour the glaze over the layered balls of dough in the pan.
5. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
6. Bake in a preheated 350 oven from 35 to 45 minutes. Let rest in pan for 5 minutes before turning out.