1 cup dried currants
1 cup soft butter
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 egg yolks
3 3/4 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
6 egg whites
dry bread crumbs
1. Cover currants with cold water and let soak 1 hour.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light. Beat egg yolks and add. Add the drained currants and mix well.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and add alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.
4. Whip the egg whites until stiff and fold in. Pour into 2 buttered 9-inch layer-cake pans which have been lined with finely rolled bread crumbs.
5. Bake 1 hour in a preheated 350 oven.