4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
3 tablespoons sugar
2 packages dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 egg white
1. Blend flour, salt, butter and sugar, as for any crust.
2. Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water.
3. Scald the milk, cool lightly and add to the beaten eggs. Stir. Add dissolved yeast, cardamom and flour-and-shortening mixture. Mix until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
4. Place the dough on a floured board, pat with the hands as though beating the dough.
5. Divide dough in half and place on 2 well-greased baking sheets. Spread out thinly. Spread through the middle with some filling. Bring up edges to the center and press together to seal. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and slivered almonds.
6. Bake 20 minutes in a preheated 350 oven, or until golden brown.