12 corn tortillas or lasagna noodles
1 can (14 to 16 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 lb. Ricotta cheese (can substitute with 1 cup cottage cheese)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 lb. cheddar cheese, sliced thin or grated
1 cup Tejano salsa
1 med onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
2 tsp chili seasoning
2 eggs, slightly beaten
4 oz. diced green chiles
1 can 16 oz. red kidney beans, drained
1 can 8 oz. whole kernel corn, drained
1 tsp cumin (comino)
1/2 tsp oregano
1 lb. ground beef
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. If using lasagna noodles, cook according to package directions or until tender but still firm. Drain, keep
2. Meanwhile, sauté the ground beef, garlic and onion in a large cast iron skillet or heavy frying pan until beef is done. Add tomato sauce, salsa, green chiles, chile powder, cumin, corn and kidney beans. Stir to mix and simmer on low heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, ricotta cheese and oregano.
4. Arrange 6 tortillas on bottom and up sides of lightly greased 9" x 13" deep-sided baking pan, overlapping as needed. If using lasagna pasta arrange a first layer of noodles so the ends hang over the sides of the pan. (The ends will be laid back-over the top for the final layer). Then add about 1/2 of the meat, bean and tomato sauce. Spoon cheese and egg mixture on top of the meat sauce and add 1/2 of the cheddar cheese. Add a second alternating layer of tortillas or pasta, the meat sauce and cheese mixture and top with remaining cheddar cheese. If using noodles, at this point fold over the ends from the first layer.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or till cheese is bubbly. Allow to set for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting. Serve extra parmesan or shredded Cheddar cheese at the table. Extra salsa or hot sauce can also be served.