1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup long-grain rice
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup green Lentils, picked over and rinsed
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon allspice, ground
3/4 pound carrots, medium dice
black pepper, freshly ground
3 tablespoons parsley, fresh, finely chopped
1 tablespoon coriander, ground
1. Place lentils in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Drain and reserve.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy skillet and sauté onion until soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in coriander, allspice, bay leaves, and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 more minutes.
3. Stir in rice until grains whiten, about 2 minutes. Add the lentils, stock, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, without stirring, until all liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and set aside in a warm spot for about 30 minutes.
5. Combine honey and vinegar in a small saucepan. Stir in remaining oil and heat over a low flame. Stir in parsley, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place pilaf on a warmed platter, and top with honey sauce.