1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 cup dried figs, chopped
1 cup raisins
1 cup candied lemon peel, chopped
1/2 cup candied citron, chopped
2 cups shredded coconut meat
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons rum
2 cups blanched almonds, chopped
1. Soften the butter, gradually add the sugar, creaming well. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
2. Sift the 1 1/2 cups of flour, baking powder and salt and add to the above mixture alternately with the 1/2 cup of wine. Beat well.
3. Combine all of the fruit and nuts and dredge the 1/2 cup of flour. With the rum add the fruit and nuts to the batter, blending well.
4. Line 2 loaf pans (9) or 2 tube pans with brown paper. Pour the batter into the pans, filling about 2/3 full. Decorate with candied fruit or nuts if you wish. Bake about 2 1/2 hours in a slow oven, 275 degrees. (Placing the baking pans in shallow pans 1/4 filled with water prevents the cakes from scorching on the bottom while they bake.)
5. Cool in pans on racks 20 to 30 minutes. Turn out. Remove brown paper. Return to racks and cool before storing.