1 1/2 lbs pork loin or shoulder (boneless pork chops will do as well)
4 medium onions
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 oz. butter, oil or shortening
2 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
1 lb Sauerkraut
1 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
ground caraway seeds
1. Rinse and dry meat. Cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
2. Peel onions and chop. Heat the butter or oil in a big pot and brown the meat. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onions and garlic and fry until they become translucent.
3. Add 1 cup broth, bring to a boil and simmer (without the lid on the pot)until liquid is reduced. Sprinkle paprika over the meat.
4. Drain and rinse Sauerkraut. Add to the meat with the remaining broth.
Mix well and simmer for 30-45 minutes on low heat (lid on the pot).
Combine flour and sour cream and stir into the Gulasch. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and caraway.
5. Tastes super with potato or napkin dumplings.