2 Fennel bulbs, about 2 lb (1 kg) total weight
1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin Olive oil
4 Cloves Garlic, lightly crushed (optional)
Salt and ground white pepper
1. Preheat an oven to 450?F (230?C).
2. If the stalks and feathery tops of the Fennel bulbs are still intact, cut them off and reserve for another use or discard. Trim the stem ends and remove any bruised outer leaves. Cut each bulb lengthwise into sixths; the core portion will hold each wedge intact. Coat one side of a large sheet of aluminum foil with the olive oil.
3. Arrange the fennel wedges on the oiled side of the foil, tuck the Garlic, if using, among the wedges and season to taste with Salt and white pepper. Fold the foil over, bring the edges together and fold them over twice to make a double seal. Place on a baking sheet.
4. Place the baking sheet on a rack in the center of the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 400?F (200?C). Bake for 15 minutes. Turn the pouch over and bake until fragrant and the fennel is tender when pierced with a fork, 10-15 minutes longer. To test for doneness, remove the pouch from the oven, unfold one corner and test with a fork. Seal and bake for a few more minutes longer if the fennel is not tender.
5. To serve, remove the fennel from the pouch and transfer to a warmed serving dish. Serve warm.