600 gms of potatoes
1 one inch piece ginger
10-12 cloves of garlic
4-5 green chillies
1 1/2 cups of gram flour (besan)
1 tspn of red chilli powder
salt to taste
a pinch of soda bi-carbonate (baking soda)
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
2 tblspns of chopped coriander leaves
oil to fry
1. Boil, cool, peel and mash the potatoes and keep aside. Make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies.
2. Prepare a thick better of besan with water, red chilli powder, salt and soda bi-carbonate. Heat a little oil. Add ginger-garlic-green chilli paste.
3. Add mashed potatoes and turmeric powder and mix well. Add chopped coriander leaves and salt to taste. Let the mixture cool. When cold, form lemon sized balls.
4. Heat oil in a kadai. Dip the potato balls into the besan batter and deep fry in hot oil till light golden brown.
5. Serve hot with chutney or sauce of your choice.