3 small eggplants (4 to 6 ounces each)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut eggplants in half lengthwise, leaving stem ends intact.
2. Mix garlic and olive oil in small bowl. Combine oregano, basil, thyme, paprika and pepper flakes in separate bowl and stir to mix.
3. Lightly brush cut sides of eggplants with garlic-oil mixture and grill over medium-high heat, cut side down, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
4. Lightly brush skin sides with oil mixture. Invert eggplants and brush tops with remaining oil. Sprinkle tops with dried herb mixture and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Continue grilling eggplants, cut side up, until very tender, 6 to 8 minutes, or as needed.