1/4 teaspoon basil, dried
1/4 teaspoon sage, dried
1/4 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 cup flageolet
1 cup haricot verts
2 cup Riesling wine
2 lamb shanks, medium size, trimmed
15 cloves gGarlic, fresh
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
black pepper, freshly ground
1. Heat oil in a roasting pan. Season shanks with salt and pepper. Add to oil and brown on all sides; remove and reserve. Add garlic and carefully brown for a minute.
2. Add the thyme, rosemary, sage, basil, and wine. "Deglaze" the pan with the wine by stirring with a wooden spoon to incorporate any browned bits from the bottom of the pan into the sauce.
3. Return shanks to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
4. When the liquid is reduced to a quarter of the volume, add the flageolets and continue simmering until heated through. Add the haricot verts during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
5. Serve the lamb shanks whole with flageolets and haricot verts.