1 cup chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
1 1/2 cup toasted croutons
5 pounds small pumpkin or winter squash
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sour cream
white pepper, freshly ground
1. Slice off the top of the squash evenly, and scoop out and discard the seeds and stringy fiber. Scoop out the squash flesh.
2. Cut the squash flesh into cubes. Place in a steamer basket over simmering water and steam for about 20 minutes, or until fork tender.
3. Heat the chicken stock in a small saucepan over medium heat. Transfer the steamed pumpkin to the bowl of a food processor and process to a puree, adding the hot stock little by little.
4. Turn the mixture into a medium saucepan, stir in the heavy cream and mix thoroughly. Season to taste with the spices.
5. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and let cook gently for a few minutes.
6. Pour a small amount of hot soup into the sour cream. Mix well. Add this back to the soup and mix well.
7. Sprinkle with the croutons and serve.