1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 cup basil leaves, torn and firmly packed
1 garlic clove (pounded into a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt)
bruschetta, as needed
1. In a bowl, mix together the tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and vinegar.
2. Add some of the garlic paste (or all of it, depending on your taste), and blend well.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, if possible.
4. When ready to top the bruschette, drizzle each slice with about 1 tablespoon of juice from the bottom of the bowl containing the tomato mixture.
5. With a slotted spoon, strew the tomato mixture over the bruschette. Serve immediately.