250 g (9oz) pumpkin, rind and seeds removed, flesh diced
350 g (12oz) prepared root vegetables, (not parsnips)
1 garlic clove, crushed
125 ml (4fl oz) medium sherry
1 tablespoon cornflour
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
25 g (1 oz) fresh breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
Time: 30 min
1. Place all the pumpkin, root vegetables and garlic in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer until all are tender. This will take about 20 minutes depending on your choice of root vegetables.
2. Preheat the grill to high.
3. Drain the vegetables, reserving the cooking water. Place the vegetables in a gratin dish.
4. Add enough of the vegetables stock to the sherry to make 400 ml (14fl oz).
5. Heat the sherry stock. Mix the cornflour with a little cold water and add it to the stock. Cook until slightly thickened.
6. Add the herbs and season well. Pour over the vegetables.
7. Sprinkle the parmesan and breadcrumbs over the top of the gratin.
8. Grill for about 10 minutes until brown on top.