150 g plaice fillets, skinned
1 bay leaf
a sprig of parsley
150 ml milk
150 g carrots
25 g frozen peas
15 g butter
1 tbsp flour
25 g cheddar cheese, grated
1. Put the fillets of plaice into a saucepan together with the peppercorns, bay leaf and parsley and pour over the milk. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Strain and reserve the cooking liquid but discard the peppercorns, bay leaf and parsley.
2. Put the carrots into a saucepan and pour over 300 ml boiling water. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes, add the peas and cook for 5 minutes more.
3. To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter and stir in the flour to make a roux, then gradually whisk in the reserved cooking liquid from the fish. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 1-2 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the grated cheese.
4. Mix in the drained vegetables and the flaked fish checking to make sure there are no bones.
5. Blend to a smooth puree for young babies and if necessary you can add a little more milk or some of the cooking water from the carrots and peas to thin out the puree.