280 ml milk
280 ml double cream
1 vanilla pod, split
6 thin slices white bread, crusts removed
40 g unsalted butter
3 large eggs
50 g caster sugar
50 g sultanas, soaked in water and drained
3 tbsp apricot jamicing sugar
1. Place the milk and cream in a saucepan with the vanilla pod and bring slowly to the boil. Cover and leave for 10 minutes.
2. Butter a large ovenproof dish (approx. 26 cm x 20 cm). Spread the slices of bread with butter and cut diagonally into quarters. Arrange in the dish with the sultanas between the slices.
3. Whisk the eggs together with the sugar.
4. Remove the vanilla pod from the milk and cream mixture and gradually stir this into the beaten eggs until well mixed. Pour this over the bread and if time leave to stand for 20 minutes.
5. Bake in an oven pre-heated to 170 C or 325 F for 45 to 50 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down a little. Gently heat the jam, thinning it with 2-3 tsp of water, strain and brush this glaze over the pudding. Dust with icing sugar.