200 g frozen leaf spinach, preferably free flow
nutmeg, freshly ground
large pinch of saffron (optional)
50 g parmesan, freshly grated
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Defrost the spinach either in the microwave or by gently heating in a covered pan, stirring occasionally to break down the block (free flow packs of spinach make this easier). Put the spinach in a sieve and press with the back of a spoon or the side of a small plate to remove as much water as possible.
2. Mix together the spinach, nutmeg, saffron, if using, and parmesan. Beat the eggs to a light froth. Add to the other ingredients with plenty of salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, preferably non-stick. Pour in the egg and spinach mixture and cook over a fairly low heat for 10-15 minutes until the tortilla is almost set.
4. Remove the pan from the heat. Put a large plate over the pan, flip it over so the tortilla is on the plate, then slide the tortilla back into the pan to cook the other side. Return the pan to the heat for about 5 minutes until the tortilla is set. Slide on to a large plate and leave to cool.
5. When the tortilla has cooled to room temperature, cut it into eight each way to give you about sixty-four bite sized strips.