1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced (8 cups)
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons half-and-half
Double-Crust Pastry (10-inch pie):
2 2/3 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
7 to 8 tablespoons cold water
Total: 1 hr 30 min
1. Heat oven to 425 F. Make Double-Crust Pastry: Mix flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary). Gather pastry into a ball. Divide in half and shape into 2 flattened rounds on lightly floured surface. Roll one round on lightly floured surface, using floured rolling pin, into circle 2 inches larger than upside-down pie plate, 10x1 1/4 inches. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
2. Mix granulated sugar, 2/3 cup of the pecans, the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in large bowl. Toss with apples. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over apples. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1/2 inch from rim of plate.
3. Roll other round of pastry. Fold into fourths and cut slits so steam can escape. Unfold top pastry over filling; trim overhanging edge 1 inch from rim of plate. Fold and roll top edge under lower edge, pressing on rim to seal; flute as desired. Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
4. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.
5. Mix brown sugar, remaining 1/3 cup pecans and the half-and-half in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted. Spread over hot pie. Serve warm.