1 beef rib roast, 4 to 6 pounds
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
Total: 4 hr
1. Heat oven to 325 F.
2. Place beef, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in center of thickest part of beef and does not touch bone or rest in fat. Do not add water.
3. Roast uncovered to desired degree of doneness: 135 F (rare), 23 to 25 minutes per pound; 155 F (medium), 27 to 30 minutes per pound.
4. Thirty minutes before beef reaches desired temperature, remove beef from oven. Increase oven temperature to 425 F and heat square pan, 9x9x2 inches, in oven.
5. Make Yorkshire Pudding: Mix all ingredients with hand beater just until smooth. Spoon off drippings from roasting pan to measure 2 tablespoons and place in heated square pan. Pour batter into pan.
6. Return beef and pudding to oven. Bake 20 minutes. Remove beef from oven. Cover beef with tent of aluminum foil and let stand while pudding continues to bake.
7. Bake pudding 5 to 10 minutes longer or until deep golden brown (pudding will puff during baking but will deflate shortly after being removed from oven). Cut pudding into squares; serve with beef. Spoon hot beef drippings over carved beef, if desired.