1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon minced shallots
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon or red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
16 jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, with the tail segment left on
8 strips smoked bacon, cut crosswise in half
16 wooden toothpicks, soaked in water for 20 minutes and drained
1. For the bearnaise sauce: Combine the mayonnaise, shallots, tarragon, vinegar and pepper in a small bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature to blend the flavors, at least 1 hour.
2. Wrap a bacon strip around each shrimp, securing the bacon with a toothpick.
3. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush grill rack lightly with oil.
4. Grill, covered, turning once, until the bacon is crisp and the shrimp is firm, about 8 minute.
5. Remove toothpicks and serve immediately with the sauce.