3 medium sized eggplants
1/2 lb ground chuck or round
1-1/2 cups minced onions
6 Tbsp butter
3 cups herbed bread stuffing
1-1/2 cup milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Saute the onion in the butter in a 9" skillet for a few minutes, until onions are slightly translucent. Add the ground beef or turkey, and cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes.
2. Cut the eggplants in half lenghtwise. Scoop the center out and reserve for the filling, leaving 1/4" around the skin. Boil the skins at medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Place skins on a cookie sheet and drain them on several layers of paper towels.
3. Add to the skillet the reserved eggplant centers and cook until tender. Remove it from heat and while piping hot, add 1-1/2 cup bread stuffing, seasonings and milk. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
4. Fill the eggplant skins with this mixture, being very careful not to break them. Sprinkle with the rest of the herbed bread stuffing and parmesan cheese.
5. Preheat oven to 400 F and bake the stuffed eggplants for about 20 minutes.