1 medium eggplant, cut in half
1/4 lb sweet ham, ground
1/4 lb butter
2 Tbsp onion, chopped fine
2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 eggs, separated and yolks beaten- save whites
1 tsp baking powder
1. Cook the two eggplant halves in salted water until soft. Scoop the pulp and put through a food mill. Mix the ground ham with the eggplant pulp.
2. Melt the butter and saute the onion. Using a food processor or blender: Pour the cooked onions in the bowl, add flour, milk, salt and pepper and process until a white sauce is made. Cook the sauce in a Baine Marie process or in a saucepan at a very low temperature on top of stove, until thickened to desired consistency of cream.
3. Add the beaten egg yolks to the ham and eggplant mixture. Add the white sauce and mix well.
4. Beat the reserved egg white to merengue consistency, slowly adding the baking powder as you beat. Gently incorporate into the eggplant mixture.
5. Pour into a souffle dish and bake at 375 F for approximately 45 minutes.