2 c sticky rice (mochi rice)
1/4 c black beans
1/4 c taro, diced
1/2 c coconut milk
1 c sugar
2 Tbs water
1 vanilla bean
pinch of salt
10 stalks bamboo
1. Clean and soak sticky rice for at least 2 hours or soak overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Clean and soak black bean in hot water for 2 hours, then steam about 15-20 minutes or until beans are 75% cooked. Set aside.
3. In a non-stick sauté pan, add sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Add vanilla bean (use only the meat on the center part of can use liquid) and taro. Cook for a few minutes then add coconut milk and pinch of salt.
4. When coconut mixture starts to boil add black beans and stick rice. Saute for 2 minutes or until the liquid starts to dry. Set aside and cool down.
5. Fill the bamboo stalk and the sticky rice until almost full the cover with a piece of banana leaf or fail. Make sure to cover tightly so the rice cooks evenly.
6. Preheat over about 375 degrees then bake for about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.