2/3 cup (2 dl) sugar
2 cups (1/2 l) milk
1-1/2 oz (50 g) yeast
3 tsp salt
1 tablespoon crushed cardamom
1/2 lb (250 g) butter or margarine or
3/4 cup (2 dl) cooking oil
about 2-1/4 lb (1 kg) white flour
1/3 cup (1 dl) raisins
Egg yolk for glazing
Almonds for decorating
1. Get the ingredients for the dough ready in the kitchen the previous evening. If they are cold the dough will take too long to rise.
2. Heat the milk to hand temperature.
3. Beat up the eggs and sugar, add the milk, yeast, salt and cardamom. If oil is to be used, add it at this stage.
4. Add enough of the flour to give a thick, elastic mixture. Beat it vigorously to get air into the dough. This will enhance the glutination of the flour and make the dough rise well.
5. Mix in the rest of the flour and finally the butter or margarine. Knead the dough until it separates completely from your hands and sides of the bowl. Add the raisins just before shaping the ring.
6. If you make the dough with an electric dough mixer, follow closely the instructions for preparing dough.
7. Cover the dough with a cloth and leave to rise in a warm place. When the dough has doubled in bulk, place on a lightly floured surface and knead well. Add the raisins.
8. Form the ring by braiding together three or four strands of dough. If you think it is too difficult to make a ring like this, form into two or three separate curved sections and place on a baking tray.