2 1/2 cups chilled whipping creme
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
5 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 large eggs yolks, room temperature
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Chocolate covered coffee bean candies
1. Preheat to 325 degrees. Combine 2 cups of the creme along with the espresso powder in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer while you whisk, dissolving the espresso powder. Once simmering, remove from the heat and add the chocolate and stir until it is melted and smooth. Set aside.
2. Select a large bowl. Whisk in the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla, and salt until it is well blended. Whisk in the chocolate mixture. Strain the mixture into a large 4-cup measuring cup.
3. Place 6-3/4 cup dishes (souffle, or custard cups) in a large roasting pan. Divide the mixture evenly into the cups. Pour enough hot water in the pan to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Place in oven and bake until the custard is just set around the edges, approximately 25 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the oven. Remove dishes from the pan and allow them to cool. Then, cover and chill in refrigerator at least 2 hours and as long as overnight.
5. To Serve: Beat the remaining whipping creme until soft peaks form. Spoon creme into a pastry bag with a star shaped tip. Pipe one star in the middle of each dish and top with a chocolate covered coffee bean.