4 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup confectioners` sugar
2 tablespoons rum or brandy
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
confectioners` sugar or honey for topping (optional)
1. Combine egg yolks, whole egg, and salt in small bowl of electric mixer. Beat at highest speed 7 to 10 minutes, until mixture is thick and piles softly. Beat in sugar, a small amount at a time. Then beat in rum and vanilla extract.
2. By hand, fold in flour.
3. Turn onto a generously floured surface. Knead dough until blisters form, about 10 minutes.
4. Divide dough in half. Cover half of dough to prevent drying. Use a towel or plastic wrap.
5. Roll out half of dough as thin as possible. Cut dough into 5x2-inch strips. Make a 2-inch slit from center almost to end of each strip of dough. Then pull opposite end through slit. Repeat with remaining dough.
6. Fry in hot fat until golden brown.
7. Drain on paper towels. If desired, sprinkle with confectioners` sugar or drizzle with honey.