1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/3 cup butter or margarine (at room temperature)
3/2 cup sugar
1 egg 3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated orange or lemon peel
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about)
confectioners` sugar (optional)
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg, then egg yolks, one at a time. Add vanilla extract, orange peel, dissolved yeast, and salt. Beat until well mixed. Stir in flour gradually, adding enough to make a stiff dough.
3. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl. Cover. Let rise until doubled in bulk.
5. Fry in hot fat 2 to 3 minutes; turn to brown all sides.
6. Drain doughnuts on paper towels and sprinkle with confektioners` sugar, if desired.