1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 jar (5 oz) prepared horseradish
1 c. Ommegang Abbey Ale
8 small potato, cut in halves
8 medium carrots, cut into fourths
1 medium onion, chopped
2 1/2 lbs beef roast bottom
1. Cook beef in Dutch oven over medium heat until brown. Reduce heat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread horseradish over both sides of the beef.
2. Add Ommegang and enough water to cover meat. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover.
3. Simmer on top of range or cook in the oven at 325 F for 2 1/2 hours. Add veggies, cover and cook one more hour. Remove meat to warm platter.
4. Prepare Gravy: Skim excess fat from broth. Add enough water to broth to measure 2 cups.
5. Shake 1/2 cup cold water and 1/4 cup flour in a tightly covered container. Stir gradually into broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Serve with beef.